CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 16, 2012

Silly Sally by Audrey Wood



We are so excited to be participating in the July Summer Virtual Book Club with some of my very favorite kid bloggers!  This month we each selected a book by Audrey or Don Wood to read with our children.  We created activities for our children, inspired by the chosen book.






We chose to read Silly Sally by Audrey Wood.  It is a fun, nonsensical rhyming book about a lady who walks on her hands backwards to go to town.  She meets lots of fun friends along the way.   The illustrations are delightful, and it is a book my children request often.


We had 4 friends over for a Silly Sally play date.  With my 3, we had a total of 7 kids ranging in age from 3-11 years old.  All of them liked the book and had a blast with our activities!  


SILLY COSTUME PARTY


After reading the book, I let the children raid the costume bins. I challenged them to come up with the silliest costume they could think imagine.  They were hilarious, and had a great time trying to outdo each other.  They mismatched pieces of several different costumes, pulled in items that were not traditionally dress up clothes, and laughed.  I loved the sound of laughter filling my home.  Is there anything better?   (For the sake of my future relationship with my son, I will NOT post the picture of him in his sister's pink fairy dress accessorized with clean underwear on his head, red sunglasses, and a sword).








PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CUPCAKES


How could we read Silly Sally and NOT make Upside Down Cake????  Family Fun Magazine has a delicious and simple recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes.  It was perfect for a group cooking activity.  Each of the 5 boys took turns helping with all of the steps.  (For some reason, the 2 girls weren't interested in cooking that day.  And I wasn't interested in forcing them to cook.  We were here to have fun)!  The only part of the recipe I helped with was to put the pan in and out of the oven! 


They cut the pineapple by themselves.




They measured out the brown sugar and butter by themselves.




While the brown sugar and butter melted, the boys took turns telling the silliest jokes they could think of.  It morphed into a game of "Who would...(fill in the blank with some crazy thing a 5 year old can imagine.  Like, "Who would eat a Bionicle?").  Again, my house was delightfully filled with the laughter of silly children.




The boys took turns placing the pineapple pieces into the pan.  The only substitution we made from the original recipe was to change the cherries to raspberries.  (Only because I had no cherries).




The boys measured and mixed the dry and wet ingredients.  They even cracked the eggs!






All to make this yummy treat!  They were so proud of themselves! 




SILLY SELF


Our final activity was to create life sized silly versions of ourselves, walking upside down.






I traced an outline of each child onto large white butcher paper, with their hands reached above their heads.  (I don't have a pic of this, since I was the one doing the tracing). 


Then each child decorated his or her own Silly Self.  My two boys did theirs completely on their own.  My daughter told me what she wanted to do and we worked together.










I am so excited to see what fun book inspired activities you did with your children, based on the incredible Woods' Books! Here are the blogs of the other amazing bloggers participating!


Toddler Approved
Smile Play Learn


Want to get a head start on August?  We will be selecting books written by Kevin Henkes!

Please link up your own activities based on a book written by a member of the Wood Family below! 




8 comments:

Unknown

What fun! The costumes are really silly!

PlayDrMom

Great ideas! My kids would love doing them!

Kristina

Those upside down silly people are awesome! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun with this. I always love seeing what you come up with. If you can believe it, I don't think I've read that book. We will have to do that asap!

Jackie Higgins

All of these are great ideas. We have been reading this book a lot while choosing a Wood book. I especially love the upside down people. We'll have to try it!!

Kim Vij

Thanks for planning out this week's project for us to do, I love it! What a fun Open House Project that would be for a school too! Look forward to seeing all the fun things you bring to the Virtual Book Club this year!

Trisha @ Inspiration Laboratories

What great fun you all had! I love all of your silly and upside down ideas. :)

The Wyler Family

LOVE this idea! I am totally going to start this in the fall. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas. What a great resource!

P.S. I just left a comment on your FHE blog a few minutes ago. I'm glad I found this one too. :)

Cassie

I love the costumes and the silly cut outs they did. That is great! I love this! I can't wait to read the book with my girls.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from the readers of my blog. It makes my day! I have recently had a lot of inappropriate spam that has snuck through, so I am turning on the moderation of comments for a short time, to see if it helps. I am so sorry for any inconvience this may cause, but I want to remain a family friendly blog. -Danielle @Mommy and Me Book Club